Friday, September 16, 2005

Wife bakes for CBC employees, not husband
by Joel CôtéSelig

"It's been almost a month since I've eaten a cookie," lamented Joel CôtéSelig, an unintended victim of the CBC lock-out. "The lock-out has to stop immediately or there won't be anything left of me except skin and bones.

"My wife no longer bakes for me. No cookies, no cake, not even pie. Everything she makes, it's for the locked-out CBC employees."

Joel is another innocent bystander caught between the labour troubles at the CBC. For nearly a month now, Joel's spouse, Michaela has been a member of the group bloggers and bakers named CBC Key Demographic (CBC KD).

Based in Ottawa, CBC KD is a nationwide grouping of 18- to 35- year-old listeners and viewers of CBC radio and television who seek the rapid and fair resolution of the labour strife that has disrupted their lives in many ways. The CBC KD bloggers have demonstrated their support for the locked-out members of the Canadian Media Guild by publishing online their blog letters sent to CBC leaders and members of parliament demanding the return of the CBC. Most importantly, they have demonstrated their support on the picket lines by providing freshly baked goods to members of the CMG every week since the beginning of the lock-out.

Under normal circumstances, these delicious but hardly nutritious treats would have been eaten by Joel and others living with members of CBC KD. "The CBC's actions are purely selfish and creating more victims than they realize. Not only they are depriving Canadians of world-class information and entertainment, they are depriving me of the midnight snacks that I depend on to get me through the night," whimpered Joel over the rumble of hunger in his baked good-free stomach.

"I can admit that there have been some positives that have come out of the CBC lock-out. Amazingly, I've managed to lose those pesky 2 kilos that I could not rid with neither exercise nor low-carb diets. And most importantly, with no competition from Ian Hanomansing or Shelagh Rogers, my wife has more time for me … in the bedroom if you know what I mean. That is unless she is up late baking for the CBC."

For the health and wellness of victims like Joel, please contact your local member of parliament and CBC management to demand the rapid and fair resolution of the labour dispute. For every Joel we hear about, there are another 2 that are suffering a similar fate.

11:10 a.m.

1 comments:

at 12:24 a.m. Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you....may your cookies return soon :)