Saturday, August 27, 2005

From: Andrea []
To: Martin.P@parl.gc.ca, Frulla.L@parl.gc.ca, arnold_amber@cbc.ca, robert_rabinovitch@cbc.ca
Cc: cbckeydemo@gmail.com
Date: Aug 26, 2005 4:30 PM
Subject: CBC lockout

Dear Prime Minister, Minister Frulla and Messrs. Amber and Rabinovitch,

I am writing to you, as a public stakeholder in the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, to urge each of your respective offices to do everything possible to remedy the lockout situation at the CBC by ensuring that negotiations resume immediately. I am certain that I need not go into lengthy detail about the cultural and the monetary damage being inflicted upon the CBC and upon Canada as a whole due to the current situation. I feel this situation speaks to the Public Service’s over-reliance on contract and temporary staffing as a whole, which tries to circumvent the Public Service’s own overly-strict hiring policies and the rendering of employee benefits. Initially, this appears to save time and money, but given the reaction of CBC staff on the picket lines, I am guessing that they also see the false savings and the accompanying lack of employment stability. From what I gathered by visiting the Ottawa CBC picket line today, however, staff appear eager to negotiate and to get back to work: I urge each of you to work together to get the CBC back on the air. Please do not allow this dispute to cost Canada such a great institution, such a great Canadian voice.

I look forward to remaining in contact with all of you, with a view to ensuring that an acceptable resolution to the CBC lockout is reached. Please accept my best wishes and my support for your swift and decisive action toward resolving the CBC lockout.

Sincerely,
Andrea []
Ottawa

11:08 a.m.

0 comments: